On Air

Robbie Benson with All Night Long (All Night) by Lionel Richie

Home

Dog starts kitchen fire in Leek

4 January 2018 Local News


Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is warning residents not to leave anything flammable on top of cookers after a fire in a home in Leek.

Crews from Leek attended the incident on Haregate Road on January 3 at 1.42pm after calls from neighbours reporting the smoke alarms were actuating and smoke was coming from the property.

Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire which involved a plastic cake container which had been left on the hob.

A fire investigation found one of the electrical rings on the hob had been turned on by a Border Collie which had been shut in the kitchen whilst the occupier went out.

When the occupier returned to the house they went in to the kitchen to rescue the dog. Fortunately the 33-year-old woman managed to get out of the property and save the dog before crews arrived however she did have to be taken to Macclesfield Hospital with smoke inhalation. Firefighters also rescued a hamster from the building.

Station Manager Carl Mason said: Fortunately this property had working smoke alarms which meant we were alerted to the incident at the earliest opportunity.

“Although we understand why the resident went back into the property to rescue their dog we strongly advice people not to go inside a burning building, to call us and wait for crews to arrive. Thankfully the lady only suffered minor smoke inhalation and her injuries were not more serious which could easily have been the case.

We encourage residents to get out and stay out.

“This is not the first time we have been to a fire caused by pets jumping up at the cooker and we ask the public to ensure there are no flammable items on the hob and if possible not to leave pets in the kitchen.

If they have to shut animals in the kitchen it is important to isolate all appliances and ensure they can not be turned on.”

For more information on home safety visit http://www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/HomeSafety.asp  or call our FREE Community Advice Team on 0800 0241 999.


,

Share

We use cookies to improve your online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy Read MoreI Agree